Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chained Hearts

Have you ever been in a place where you did not want to do something, but end up doing the exact thing that you were running away from? Doesn't it feel like your hands, feet, eyes or tongue are completely bound to do that particular thing? Apostle Paul expressed his frustration in these words, "I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. I have the desire to do what is right, but end up doing the opposite, I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing" (Romans 7:15-19)




Is it possible for us to break free of such a bondage? Is it possible to exercise the kind of self control that Jesus himself exercised when he was on this earth? We can debate for hours as to if the answer is yes or no! However let me give you an example. If somebody jumps high into the air, is it possible that he will not land back to the ground? Well, we may say no! Ask the same question to an astronaut who has been into the space and he will tell you that it is possible!



Walk by the Spirit
The bible says in Galatians 5:16 Walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. I can talk about the 10 easy ways to get rid of an addiction or the best books you could read or the preachers that you need to listen to, however none of it will make any sense to you untill you reach the place of walking by the Spirit. Where every step of yours is led by the Spirit of God. You can spend all your time, your efforts, your blood and your oxygen in removing the dark areas of your life and in turn end up in self pity, Instead soak yourself in God, in His word, in prayer, in allowing Him to talk to you, in letting His glorious light shine over the dark areas of your life, and see how you don't even remember the day or the date when you actually broke free off of your addictions.


Know the Truth
Jesus said "you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32 ESV) As much as a person needs a release in the spirit, so much so does he need to have renewal in his mind! And that comes only by knowing the truth. At times the devil tries to deceive you by getting you to believe all the lies about yourself and your habits. Truth is at times painful, however a lotliberating. I remember the days I was hooked to masturbation, when the devil used to convince me with the teenage saying "it's ok", and that "I can never get rid of it". But the truth is that sin will have no dominion over me, since I am not under law but under grace. (Romans 6:14 ESV) When this truth about the matter invaded my mind, exposing every deceiving lies of the devil, I knew I had won the battlefield of my mind!


Slaves of Righteousness


Heed to this firm commandment in the word of God, Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. (Romans 6:13) Though the battle begins in the spirit and is fought in the mind, it is finally triumphed upon in the body! If your actions don't support what you have been experiencing in your spirit and soul, then all your experiences are worth nothing, but a fancy waste of time. You have to let the victory you have experienced in your spirit and in your mind to sink into your body, to the extent that even your flesh craves for nothing but God, to the extent that every part of your body becomes slaves to righteousness.




Walk by the Spirit, allign your spirit completely to the Spirit of God even as you commune with him, allow the revelations He gives you to flood your mind and free you from the devil's lies and allow your body to be chained by righteousness, where you do nothing but that which glorifies God and exhibits His righteousness, and that's what it takes to exhibit Self-Control. Galatians 5:22,23; The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, SELF-CONTROL; against such things there is no law.

No comments:

Post a Comment